A brand new game
for Windows, HTML5, iPhone, Android TV and more,
I give up.
Over the past 30-odd hours, I've tried a boatload of languages, and although all seem capable in their own particular ways, none of them seem to do everything that I need them to do.
I'm still annoyed that GLBasic doesn't do sound-pitching.
An Amiga 1000 could do that in 1985.
Tackling errors as they come.
I fix and I tweak every bug.
Sometimes I delete things and start them again,
Smashing code up, like a thug.
Sleepy Jay took over, yesterday.
I knew what coding needed to be done, but nothing productive was happening at all.
I tried a few things, including building a nice random dungeon generator, but.. .. Boy, that didn't end up nice, at all!
Today I might scrap what I did, and redo-from-start.
I know I can do better than that!
To stop my head from exploding from all the compression stuff, I decided to play with the theme tune, today.
First off, I tried something different.
It was rubbish.
Next up, I tried the old theme, but rejigged.
The main menu of AD2 is still pretty much a blank screen! Albeit a red blank screen, with a couple of white rectangles sliding into place..
So is the addiction of the game at this point, that it's quite easy to click the mouse, and accidentally play for 20-minutes.. whoops!
I have managed to tweak a few ingame things, though. And the Menu -> Game -> Menu transitions are more or less working, except for one small thing.
I'm not sure how to fade in a level, at this point.
The last game started off with the small image of the map, it scrolled to the center of the screen, and then zoomed in to become the real map.
This time, that can't happen.
Unfortunately, the switch from 3D background to 2D background has killed that nice little effect, so I'm going to have to come up with something nice, and fluffy, in a vein attempt to beat it..
I'm not sure what that is, though!
Last time in the main menu, you had lots of little maps to flick through. This helped you choose which map to play at a glance. Unfortunately, this time, that probably isn't going to work, since each map can be 160x160 pixels.. Unless of course, I only show a couple of maps onscreen at once.. Which I'd rather not end up doing..
I'm currently considering an on-the-fly map doodler.
The player clicks a level name on the left, the previous map slides out, and the new map slides in..
This way, not only do I limit how much is onscreen at once, but I can also redraw over the same map image, over and over again.. That's SO much easier to do, since we're not holding every single map in memory, all the time!!! (yikes!)
Also, I'm thinking that I might leave the map in memory.. I haven't added any real changes to the level at this point.. So, a level layout is always the same, even if you splatter it with blood!
What this means is, if you start the same level again, I can quickly get it going without then having to sit and re-render the whole map each and every time.
Obviously, picking a different map will require the re-render, but I'll probably be able to do that during the map doodler thing, and keep everything up to speed..
Either way, it'll mean you can restart the same level quicker this time, which is always handy.
Now, less of the typing.. time to get back to that menu.. again!
(Oh, and the editor now loads and saves without any issues.. I've been playing 3 or 4 different levels :D )
Today, I really need to buckle down, and pad out the menu a teensy bit.
As you can see, it's... a little bit empty right now!
I'm still not sure how everything's going to fit onto the screen, but I found a nice font last night so it shouldn't be too hard to get everything nice and padded out, whilst still being jam packed with menu-style goodness.
After that, I really should start to add some kind of scores into the game! I haven't yet bothered to do that, what with all the testing and stuff, so it's about time it went in there.
Menu, scoring, multipliers, super-weapons. That's the main 4.
Once those are in, it's time to throw up a small demo edition for people to try out. With any luck, the game should work!!
Then I'll carry on building the editor, finish off the online highscores, and get everything neatly packaged for a proper release.
I'd say it should take no more than about a week, but then I also have to be 100% sure that the game's "DONE" before I upload it with the highscore system attached.
There's nothing worse than finding a stupid silly bug that people can score millions of points on, just after the thing's been uploaded!!
I spent most of last night tweaking the graphics.
For starters, I've jigged about the whole Background tileset.
If you've bothered to poke around inside the old game, you'll have noticed that bg.png contains a great big pile of unused "Inside a Wall" stuff. It was originally going to serve a purpose, and fill out the black, but eventually I decided that having plain black nothingness would be good enough, and the black stayed as black.
So, they're now removed from the tileset, the odd yellow wall stuff's gone, too, and a whole big blank area has been created, ready for all new tiles to go in.
First off, though, I had to make myself some new walls!
The pieces click together,
Like a jigsaw full of text.
The code becomes another game,
Which I'm releasing next.